Sep 20, 2010

I Can Do Hard Things

My life has recently been flipped upside down. I am 11 weeks pregnant and we are thrilled to be having our fourth and final baby! However, pregnancy takes a serious toll on me. I have morning sickness for a good 5 to 6 months and nothing seems to help. So, here I am, a lump on a log. One who has no energy or desire to do anything, who can't change a diaper or wipe a bum without gagging for fresh air, who needs to eat every 2 hours and yet nothing sounds good, who has about 10 things to get done and is bedraggled after doing just one, who makes frighteningly odd sounds throughout the day while trying to keep from tossing my cookies. The truth be known, pregnancy is for me dreadful but so worth it.

Now to my point. Before finding out I was pregnant I happened upon a blog where a mother had recently lost her 18 month old baby girl. She was so inspirational and offered up a piece of advice I have taken to heart. As she tries to cope with her new reality, she has found it helpful to tell herself, "I can do hard things". I know my current trial pales in comparison, but I keep finding myself saying those very words out loud as I'm getting up to take the kids to school, or going to a social event, or making dinner, or anything that takes me off my bed or the couch for that matter. It really helps me to believe that I CAN do it and somehow motivates this lifeless body to move.

6 comments:

Katie Blacker said...

ah. feeling sick is the worst! I think you are amazing. I think BOTH my sisters are amazing for having 4 kids! wow. You CAN do hard things. And you do so much!

Stacie said...

Congratulations! That is great news. Sorry about the sickness, though. You can do it!

Susan Anderson said...

You are a great girl, Mindy.
And that's an EASY thing to see.

=)

PS. Congrats on your new and last baby. Heather has quit at three for the same reason. Last time, she had to get a permanent IV port put in her and a home nurse came and gave her transfusions throughout the pregnancy. I've never seen anyone get so sick!

Kierstin said...

So sorry that you aren't feeling well. I so wish that we lived in the same place so that I could help you!

I am so excited for you that you are having another sweet baby! Your kids are so blessed to have you as their mommy!!

((((HUGS))))

Brooke said...

Thanks for this post, Mindy. After a few personal trials, I've also found reminding myself that I can do hard things is a small comfort.

Congratulations on your pregnancy. I hope all goes well. You have such an adorable family!

Marianne said...

You CAN do hard things. Good for you for saying it out loud!

Related Posts with Thumbnails